According to the Centre for Disease Protection (CHP) the current influenza activity in Hong Kong is at a high level and will remain at a high level in the coming weeks.
To date we have had only three isolated cases of Influenza B school wide but in view of the latest development of the communicable disease, the Centre for Health Protection and Education Bureau advises that students have their temperatures monitored daily and be kept home from school if they display any flu-like symptoms including a temperature greater than 37.5, cough, runny nose, vomiting or diarrhoea.
In addition to the disinfection, monitoring practices and personal hygiene reminders already in place at Discovery College please be encouraged to take the following measures to help prevent respiratory illnesses and influenza:
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination for personal protection.
- Build up good body immunity by having a proper diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep.
- Maintain good personal and environmental hygiene.
- Keep hands clean and wash hands properly.
- When hands are not visibly soiled, clean them with 70-80% alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing and dispose of nasal and mouth discharge properly.
- Wash hands after sneezing, coughing, or cleaning nose.
- Maintain good ventilation and avoid crowded places with poor ventilation.
- Do not send children to school with fever or respiratory problems.
- Children should not attend school until 48 hours after fever has subsided.
- Continue to monitor temperatures daily at home.
- Seek medical advice promptly if symptoms of respiratory tract infection or fever develop.
The latest information on influenza activity can be found in the following website.
Your vigilance and cooperation will help to maintain a healthy school environment for our children during influenza season.