Back home
Primary

Primary Update

Posted: September 4, 2020

What a week. I’m sure your week got a bit better after hearing the press conference from the EDB on Monday. We’re returning to school.

Mr Smith will talk about where we are at with the return to school in his message. All I’ll say from a primary perspective is that we are THRILLED to be getting ready to welcome our students and teachers back in the very near future. With the announcement on Monday, however, this does not stop our focus on reflecting on our Online Learning Provision. The surveys for parents and students all closed on Tuesday. This week has been spent feeding back to the College Leadership Team, the Primary Team Leaders and the rest of the Primary Staff.

A narrated slideshow with a summary of the findings from the surveys will be shared with the wider community next week. Our timeline for implementing a few changes and tweaks in relation to the online learning provision remains on track for Monday 14 September as originally laid out. It is important we are responsive to changing circumstances but we retain our commitment in surveying our various stakeholders and taking the feedback on board. Because of this, we will move ahead with refining our online provision from Monday 14 September 2020.

I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am to be able to welcome your children back to DC in the coming weeks. I know that many of us were at the point of thinking ‘Are we ever going to get back to school?’. It reminds me of an A.A. Milne quote from Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day:

I think sometimes it is easy for us to feel as though we are in Piglet’s shoes. With the news and current events and our own personal stresses at home, it is very easy to feel like we’re seconds from a tree falling on us. I know I’ve certainly felt like Piglet over the last few weeks and from reading through comments in the survey data, listening during conversations and hearing what’s being said, I think as a community we’ve all been feeling a bit like Piglet. Monday was our ‘Winnie the Pooh moment’. It is what we needed to hear to remind us that what we are experiencing and feeling isn’t forever but a moment in the much bigger Hundred Acre Woods of Life.

I know it has been a blustery few weeks but I believe there are definitely blue skies ahead.

Enjoy the weekend.

Josh Blue
Head of Primary