Back home
Whole College

A message from the Principal

Posted: June 25, 2021

The end of term is nearly here, and what a term – and year – it has been. I cannot recall another period in my time working in schools that has contained so many twists and turns. As a College we have needed to learn to reconcile our desire to do the very best we can with the knowledge that we are not always in control of circumstances. We have needed to learn to find peace amid uncertainty, and positively amid challenge.

I was asked recently what my highlight of the year was. Despite the many challenges of 2020-21 there have also been many high points to choose from, and we will all have our own enduring, treasured memories and sense of what is most important to us. My high point was Monday 24 May, and the experience of seeing every single DC student walk through the College entrance in the morning for the first time in months. There was something about that day, and the moment of restoration and recovery that it represented, that felt very special. The simple act of students arriving at school like they normally would, together, carried with it the affirmation that, whatever the difficulties, we can always find a way to fulfil what the College is, and has always been, here to do – to provide a safe, joyful learning environment built on strong relationships, intricately connected with a supportive community, in which our wonderful young people can grow, discover and dream together. The smiles that greeted me that morning will remain in my memory for a long time to come.

As we bring the academic year to a close, I would like to say a sincere and heartfelt thank you to our students, who have worked so hard this past year in several different learning modes to keep up their studies, their support for one another, and their contribution to the life of the College. Our amazing staff have been tireless in their efforts to secure the best possible outcomes for students, and I would like to say thank you to them as well, and acknowledge the incredible work they have done. Finally, to all our parents, whose support is vital to everything that happens at Discovery College, I am incredibly grateful for your trust, feedback, positive input, and support.

The last day of this term, Wednesday 30 June, will be a half day, finishing at 12.00pm. Our first day back for students after the holiday will be Wednesday 18 August. In the meantime I would like to wish every DC family a fulfilling, restful summer. It is thoroughly deserved.